Thursday, July 01, 2004

G train means

I associate certain neighborhoods of NYC and specific subway lines and stops to different lovers of mine. I was thinking about this because last night I was on the G train into Brooklyn to meet a date. The G train into Brooklyn for the last year and a half has been the territory of the Prince of Bushwick. It didn't matter that I was getting off in Greenpoint. It felt strange, almost like a betrayal. Maybe it was just a moving on.

Once upon a time, when I was in high school. The G train into Brooklyn used to belong to nene. Nene was this skinny Puerto Rican boy I almost married. I used to get off in Williamsburg to visit him in his walkup, the one he shared with his sister, stepfather and mother, who hated me . Then Williamsburg still belonged to people of color and didn't have the hipster bars and lounges that it his now. Williamsburg was still a little scary to most people but felt like home to me.

Now the G train into Brooklyn makes me feel like a visitor. And I am. Off to meet another gringito.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home