Monday, November 29, 2004

The Political in the Personal

I'm sure you all must be bored to tears with my talk of El Cubano my relocation plans so here I go getting political on your ass but maintaining the personal connection.

This article found its way into my email inbox today and it made me want to cry and scream at the same time.


At 19 I found myself in Chile, pregnant. When I told the sperm donor, I mean my boyfriend at the time that I was pregnant his response was quick,

" Go to the United States where abortion is legal and get it taken care of,"

I stood in the Temuco bus depot crying. I didn't want to return to the United States. I wanted to stay in Chile (with or without that fool) but I also wanted to option to continue my pregnancy or terminate it. It didn't help matters that Chile had (and still does have) some of the most fucked up family laws regarding unmarried women and the babies they birth.

That same night I returned to the house where I rented a room and sat in the living room with some of my housemates to watch television , while I contemplated my next move. Coincidently (or not) there was a news story about women who sought illegal abortions. I watched scared and sad and one of my housemates began to cry softly on the sofa. She confessed that she once had sought an illegal abortion and the stigma still weighed heavy on her.

I returned to the United States, privileged to be able to leave and exercise the right to make decisions about what happens with my womb. I went to an abortion clinic. I did not have an abortion. I decided in the end to continue with the pregnancy. I would however have an abortion later in my life.

As a woman I worry about getting pregnant, not being able to get pregnant, being able to afford birth control, not wanting to fuck with my body too much, and being able to access a safe, legal, and affordable abortion as well as being able to find safe and affordable childcare and healthcare for the child I do have and the children I may have in the future.

Some of our sisters in other countries don't have as many options as we do, which is why we have to fight to ensure that we continue to have options and choices in regards to our bodies. If my daughter decided one day to return to her native Chile, I want her to have the same options.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ma. i just got caught up on your posts.
estas loca? you ain't actually thinking what you say your thinking, right? imagine if your best friend was contemplating the same thing? aside from do you really think that your little girl is best served by this, do you really think that dropping everything and trekking across country with 15 bucks in your pocket to an admittedly unstable guy is using good judgement. what happened to school? what happened to the idea of self sufficiency. the best i can say is that you can always come back if it doesn't work out, but just because you can (maybe) undo a mistake doesn't mean you have to make it in the first place. right? think (and maybe NOT share every single thought with the world.) :)

con las mas buenas intenciones.

dc

11/30/2004 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger EL CUBANO said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/30/2004 03:21:00 AM  
Blogger EL CUBANO said...

you ain't actually thinking what you say your thinking, right?
Have you ever known Mala too be that inconsistent as your suggesting?

imagine if your best friend was contemplating the same thing?
Her best friend just gave her the green light...

aside from do you really think that your little girl is best served by this
Mala and I both agree that Mapucherican would be best served by this.

do you really think that dropping everything
WHat exactly is she dropping again?

and trekking across country with 15 bucks in your pocket to an admittedly unstable guy is using good judgement.
Well hey, its not like she would be completely dependant on me. SHe can work and support herself too u know.

what happened to school?
WHat happened to it? Last I heard, California had some good schools too.

what happened to the idea of self sufficiency.
I didnt know anything happened to the idea. What does that mean exactly. Because even when I first moved on my own and was paying my own bills, I questioned what self sufficiency really meant. And if humans were truly self sufficient, society would not exist.


the best i can say is that you can always come back if it doesn't work out, but just because you can (maybe) undo a mistake doesn't mean you have to make it in the first place. right?
Sounds like your afraid of taking risks. And as my mentor said, only risk what you can afford to lose. Sure u can prevent urself from doing things in order to avoid making mistakes but that isnt the way MALA chooses to live her life. Mistake huh? Have you thought of the remote possibility she is doing something positive for herself and her daughter?
Considering I live near some of the best elementary schools in California, if not the nation. Also the fact that its sunny here most of the year with almost no rain is always pretty pleasant. The fact that I love the little one and she loves me as well! Same goes for Mala too. It doesnt sound too bad for the little one nor Mala now does it?????
Sure you can play it safe all you want, but that is just not who we (MALA AND ME!)are!

11/30/2004 03:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home