Sunday, January 30, 2005

Oh the Irony

This morning I was checking the MapucheRican's schoolbag. We did math and phonics work. Then I pull out the baggie of books she is sent home with to read over the weekend.
There in the plastic baggie is The True Story of Pocahontas

The story is so true not once is her real names mention. She comes across as the typical noble savage stereotype.
"They all think Indians are savages, but Pocahontas acts like a princess. She stands very straight. She smiles and speaks softly. How pretty she is."

How many ways is the above quote wrong?

So here I go. obviously I have to now sit with the MapucheRican and discuss the book with her. Do I send a note to the teacher saying how inappropriate this is?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, I would. That is so offensive! I hate how every other ethnic group other than European is perceived as savage. But they constantly fail to go in detail about the Inquisition.

1/31/2005 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger MedicineWoman9 said...

Mala, discuss it. It is the fight we fight. If we do not tell our stories first no one else will. I was well into high school (like 11th grade) before I had someone say to me that Columbus was not all he was cracked up to be which sent me onto fact finding missions and such about the other so called heros of "our" history.

I don't want my daughter to feel that betrayed. Like these people who are teaching her have decided that she is not intelligent enough to handle things. Keep in mind, I don't equate intelligence with emotional maturity, which is the mistake my parents made often. However, I think children deserve the truth--it can be explained in a way that is age appropriate. But I feel it still needs to be the truth. I don't want her to wake up one day and feel I have been party to the lying done to her.

2/02/2005 10:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home