Monday, February 07, 2005

What’s in a Name?

My parents have been divorced for about 21 years now. My mother never bothered to change her name, get rid of her married last name and replace it with her maiden name. She says she did this for us, my younger sister and me. When I was a child, in the 80’s, having divorced parents wasn’t uncommon, not in New York City anyway or in the minor political circle my parents were then a part of. Having a mom with a different last name than you however was still considered strange.

Last week I called my local cable company to switch over the phone line in my childhood apartment to their digital phone service. It seems like a good deal, especially given long distance charges I am incurring on my bill thanks to many many calls to Los Angeles.
I overlooked the obvious however. It was an issue I had discussed many times with my happily single mother and have gotten made fun of by my friends whenever I have called them from my home phone. My mother using her ex husband’s last name isn’t the only thing that hadn’t changed 20 plus years after the divorce. The phone bill still bears my father’s name.

I inform the digital phone sales person from the cable company of the name on the bill and she asks when is a good time to call back so she can speak to Mr. Person whose name is on the bill. I, pretending to be my mother, tell the woman that I have been divorced from my husband over 20 years. The saleswoman then asked me for a number to contact the person whose name is on the bill. I didn’t have a way. I haven’t spoken to my father in years. I was then informed that there was some state law (or was it federal?) that required her to contact the person whose name was on the bill before she switched over the phone service. So now I have to call my phone company and get the name changed on the bill to match reality.

2 Comments:

Blogger EL CUBANO said...

Hey Gorgeous,

Here is an easier stratgy and lot less time consuming. Just say you are a new tenant and u want the service u were asking about. when they ask about Mr person, the previous tenant, just say he moved and u dont know where he is. Be kind enough to pay the balance on his account. If they ask about the fact that ur name is the same as the previouus account, just say "It is a common name isnt it?"

2/07/2005 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger EL CUBANO said...

on second thought, fuck it, dont pay the balance on Mr persons account, not like he gives u any money!!! Give it to me instead :) HAHAHAHA

2/07/2005 11:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home