Saturday, March 26, 2005

Gym Puta

I haven't disappeared into a black hole like my boyfriend (who finally called me by the way). I actually have just been swamped with work, the kind you get paid for. Between teaching students and writing on everything from the mechanization of genocide, Vincent Gallo, and elementary school science fairs, I have found a new obsession. Her name is the gym.

I mentioned in an earlier post that my sister and mother had gotten together to buy me a two year membership at a local gym. I don't know if this was an underhanded way of them telling me I was out of shape or ::gasp:: fat, although I doubt it as my mother can often be heard yelling at me to stick my belly in or asking me if I'm pregnant. I would like to think that their joint gift had more to do with my low grade depression that has pretty much kept me from doing anything beyond the bare minimum required for my survival.

Going to the all women's gym has become part of my daily routine. I drop la MapucheRican off at school. I stop for coffee and have a cigarette. Then I hit the gym for an hour or two.

When I first went , I had to take this orientation, to learn how to properly use the machines. After the orientation they try to sell you personal training then they weigh and measure you. Now I hadn't weighed myself in the longest. When the tiny, skinny white personal trainer asked me how much I thought I weighed, I should have known it was a set up. I threw a random number out there. Turns out I was about 12 pounds more than that number. Hmm I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Anyway. So far my biggest fears were the electric treadmills and step class. I was sure that I'd end up rolling or worse, flying off the electric treadmill like people do in cartoons and sitcoms. But now I have come to learn to love the treadmill. Part of it seems really silly though. I mean shouldn't I just maybe run outside? Get some fresh air instead of smelling sweat? I also think it's hilarious how woman will actually fight over a treadmill. Like literally ladies are pulling other ladies off. You have to sign up for the treadmills by the half hour because of the demand and let me tell you when you are on your 29th minute there is someone tapping their feet behind her all up your ass waiting.

It took me a good two weeks to finally try a step class. I was afraid to look like an ass but I figure how hard could it be. I have rhythm and was a dancer in many ways mira I did ballet and modern dance too, it wasn't just pole work). And sure enough I did pretty well in my first step class. but my favorite class is kickboxing.

I like the fact that it is an all women's gym. I don't feel like I have to worry about my hair or makeup or if my workout clothes are nice enough. There are all shapes and sizes and that goes for the staff as well as the other members. And hey there's even babysitting that la MapucheRican loves.

The best thing about the gym is I really don't think about anything when I'm there. I run on the treadmill, lift weights, go around the world with knees (people who have done step should know what I am talking about). I don't think about my boyfriend, my work, my responsibilities. Hell I don't even think about those unexpected 12 pounds.
All that makes it worthwhile.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about the gym, only I hate going. I keep telling myself to get off my ass and walk the boardwalk, which is 2 blocks from my home dammit, but I don't. Some activity would shake these blahs and give me energy, would which help my writing.

Glad you-know-who called.

Iris

3/27/2005 07:51:00 AM  
Blogger RHD said...

Fuck the 12 pounds. You feel good, right?

3/28/2005 01:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home