Wednesday, April 20, 2005

His Holy Popeness

I suppose as a woman whose education came courtesy of the Catholic Church in Queens and Manhattan I should mention something about the new pope , His Holiness Benedict the XVI.

I don't know why I had any hope that the next Papa as we call him in Spanish, was going to be a person of color. I thought it would have been really cool to have a Pope from South America or Africa maybe even a liberation theologist!! Of course the guy who was chosen was a German who apparently may have served in the Nazi Youth. Hmmm ok. He is also very conservative who doesn't support the use of contraception , the right of women to choose, an increased role for women within the church, marriage for priests, and euthanasia. Sounds like a real people person huh?

La Fea and I , who fondly remember taking morality class in our Catholic high school on the upper east side of Manhattan around the same time that we lost our virginity, also feel like we were sold a bill of goods with the lavish funeral of Pope John Paul the II and the voting in of a new pope with all its cloak and dagger secrecy. Pope Benedict the XVI is 78 which pretty much guarantees that we will get to watch an all pope TV week of funeral masses and processions and have to wonder again which Cardinals really voted for themselves when they changed their handwriting. So this whole thing will not be a once in a lifetime happening.

Well no matter. I haven't been to church in since last Spring when I sponsored a kid in a confirmation.

Now if only I could figure out what to do with la MapucheRican's interest in going to church on Sundays thanks to my mom.

Oh but I will have the chance to go to a reunion for my Catholic elementary school. That should be fun especially when I get to tell everyone that I am now dating the cousin of a girl who used to be my best friend back in the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home