Saturday, April 23, 2005

Rabid Ny'ers

And no I am not talking about the men leering at us fabulous mujeres now that spring has sprung and the sandalias and faldas have made their way from the back of our closets. Apparently two women were bitten by a rabid raccoon or two in the Boogie Down Bronx.

Last summer I spotted a raccoon on my hood late one night as I walked home from a date. Within a few weeks I discovered that the big fat raccoon and her two babies were living in a hole in a tree next to my building. La MapucheRican and I made a routine of daily checking for Sunshine, as my daughter named her, and her babies. Often Sunshine would be hanging out on a branch, other times only her tail was sticking out of the hole in the tree. It was like having a mini zoo on our block since the only animals my daughter and I ever see are people's pets and the roaches in the basement laundry room.

Winter came and we assumed the raccoon was off hibernating but Sunshine never reappeared.

Maybe she moved to the Bronx?????

1 Comments:

Blogger RHD said...

That happened not so far from me, over by my midwife's office. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

My neighborhood has a whole herd of skunks (eeeew!) and a raccoon family, that I know of. I am sure there's way more wildlife running around in Van Cortlandt Park too.

4/24/2005 11:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home