Sunday, May 01, 2005

Censorship, at the Request of Another ( a recurring theme)

I very rarely delete posts from my blog. I am a writer (and with three deadlines I am really feeling like one). I am inspired by the people I meet and the things I do. My exhibitionist side wants to share this with the world , including the fascinating characters in my life that are way more interesting than anything I could make up.
Sometimes this has worked to my benefit, with my blog becoming a gateway for me to publish my work in other places and spaces. My blog is therapeutic for me as well. It is a place for me to dump all my feelings and then let them go...until they come back to haunt you.

I have been very radical in my willingness to write about personal matters, unashamed. This has not made some of the people in my life very happy however. My mother was scanadalized to read a poem about an abortion I had. El Cubano was pissed about my disclosure of his mental health issues (although I really think it was just painful to read how they affected me). There was a blog war that began because of a drunken kiss I gave an ex and a woman who made judgments about me without knowing me.

Today I received an unexpected phone call from a former lover of mine. It had been months since we last spoke. Apparently someone who knows him stumbled upon a blog entry of mine dating from a year ago through a google search. My former lover was offended, feeling that I betrayed a confidence and a friendship. He said that he didn't want to feel that he had to preface everything he said with a request not to write and publish about it. I find this interesting only because our contact has been so limited over the last year.

So with much annoyance, bordering on anger, I have deleted said entry from my blog.

7 Comments:

Blogger maaarco said...

wow, dude is wack--he's probably just jealous of a said island in the caribbean... he's a turd... and blog wars can be so much fun!

anyhow, onto good shit: nice cut M. very nice indeed. how long before you fuck it up and dye it yellow and purple and red? :) just kidding, really, thats an awesome look, bueno, toodles!

5/02/2005 01:16:00 AM  
Blogger Debra said...

I post a lot of things that have to do with other people, but for the most part I make a slight alteration to a name or maybe just use an initial. Otherwise, I really don't censor either.

I guess I figure if someone can't understand that this is for my benefit, not theirs, and they don't have to read it... well, you get the idea.

Ditto on the hair- very cute!

5/02/2005 09:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Mama JunkYard said...

As a blogger I have often wondered about some of the issues that you have faced.

I tend to feel that if someone elses drama affects my life in one way then it is technically my drama too which means I can write what I want about it.

I am yet to have someone ask me to take something down but I know I have written things that have angered some people who know me. Those people did not fall into my friends of family category so I wasn't too bothered.

Thank you for this post....

5/04/2005 12:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Prince of Bushwick said...

I'm obviously naive to think you could wrap your pole-dizzy brain around the concept of "discretion". I'll take it a step farther, it was very stupid of me to call attention to your sophomoric mumblings and give you another pulpit to express your disdain for whatever genuine feelings we had for each other. The initial displeasure at seeing warts and all displayed was mildly irritating, but your passive-agressive ramblings of censorship are really just nauseating. I could care less if tens of people see that blog entry. So I retract my original request and I now ask you to repost that unpleasant entry. Please. I beg you. Repost it. Draw attention to it. Preface it with this comment. Attach my cell phone number, my real name and address to it. Announce to the world that you acknowledge no barriers between your private and public life. But before you repost it, I would suggest editing it a little more dilligently, because that's the last bit of Amy Sohn crap you're going to wring out of the Prince of Bushwick.

5/05/2005 08:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew el cubano so much to said that he has no mental problems. Yes he did have lots of bad times, bad years, bad experiences, but He is a very focus person, phisically & mentally very healthy, a man who really know what he wants and what he doesn't want. Yes it is annoying how you write down he has mental issue.

11/21/2006 06:37:00 PM  
Anonymous MamitaMala said...

I don't know who you are or even if you are el Cubano himself, pero I stand by everything I have written about el Cubano. I have no ill will towards him and wish him nothing but love and happiness but my position remains and that comes from a place of wanting him to be a happy, fulfilled man.

11/22/2006 12:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear Maegan,
I'm not el cubano. He stopped reading your blog years ago, and is too busy with his life to go back visiting these pages.
I am his family. I know how blogger expresses all their frustation in their blog, you are not the only one. But when you put someone picture's in your blog and writing your opinion about him and say he is mentally ill or has mental issues. Don't you think you go too far?
This is not just your diary. whole wide world can access it, and so is people who knows el cubano and doesnt know you.
I don't know you either, but I hope life treats you and your princess well. Thanks for the wishes for el cubano. He is now a very happy, responsible and fulfilled man.

11/25/2006 01:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home