Saturday, June 25, 2005

Tag! I'm It!

Fabulosa Mujer tagged me 10 days ago and let me tell you it really took me that long, well between life, to count my books.

-# of books that you own?
I counted up to 343 then I got tired. So I figure somewhere around the 400-425 mark. This is why I am scared of moving. How do move so many books? I need books.

-Last book you bought?
Well I get books as gifts because I'm so poor. The last book I really bought was one of the Magic Treehouse books.

-Five books that mean a lot to you?
Wow this is a really hard question. It's like picking your favorite kid.
Aloud: Voices for the Nuyorican Poets CafeI bought this book right when I was finding my own spoken word style/voice and it helped push me to go to the Nuyorican's and perform at an open mic when I was barely 18.

Memoirs of Bernardo Vega. Besides it being a great narrative of a Puerto Rican pionero in NYC , it has a special place in my heart because it was given to me as a gift from my political mentor and teacher, Richie Perez, inscribed with the words, " We are a continuation of this struggle".

De Amor y Sombras by Isabel Allende I read this book when I returned from my time living in Chile. The thinly veiled representation of the Pinochet dictatorship and the murders and disappearances made me cry as well as the love story.

Ana Castillo- Peel my Love Like an Onion. Whenever I am writing about my own crazy relationships or when I am creating new ones in my writing I always return to this book. It never ceases to amaze and inspire me.

This Bridge Called my Back I heard about this book when I was in college long before I actually sat down and read it, which was after I had la MapucheRican. I wish I had read it earlier but am grateful that it exists.

-Last book(s) you’ve read?
Reading Lolita in Tehran. I resisted reading this because well it was so hyped and I hate hype but my mom bought it and when she was done, I read it and really enjoyed it. Made me think about exile and resistance, two things I think alot about anyway.

Translation Nation. I really wanted to enjoy this more than I did. It wasn't really any wow new information for me except for mentioning a few places I want to visit when I go to Los Angeles.

-Tag… You’re it: Pick 5 Bloggers.
Damn ok.
1. Chica Cherry because she writes about what she is wearing but not what she is reading

2. la Fea well because she is my best girl and needs to get into this whole blog loop more.

3. Nehanda- because she is hiding

4 and 5 can be any of my blog readers from whom I hardly hear from. For example a certain ex of mine who loves to post events as comments on my blog (you know who you be kid). If you don't have a blog but wanna play, play in my comments.

1 Comments:

Blogger fiercelyfab said...

I want to read Lolita in Tehran now, thanks for the review of this book. Oh and Peel My Love Like an Onion too!

6/28/2005 10:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home