Monday, July 18, 2005

Anticipation

In four days I will see my boyfriend for the first time in over 6 months. Yes 6 months.
El Cubano will be flying in, courtesy of moi, for a few days. I already threatened to hold him here against his will, thus making the decision on where we will live.

In all seriousness though not having a boyfriend around has made me lazy in some things. For example, I don't have to shave everyday. My nails are unpainted and a pedicure I've been wanting to get has gotten put off time after time. My eyebrows aren't overgrown but haven't seen a thread in months. I'm not a vain person so these things have never been a high priority. It feels awfully anti-feminist of me and so not progressive to be getting my hair , nails, and eyebrows done for my boyfriend even if I know that these things do make me feel better and pampered. Plus I get to use El Cubano's arrival as an excuse to throw out any ratty underwear I have and get some nice new ones.

El Cubano's arrival has me also cleaning like a madwoman. I have taken out more garbage today than I can ever remember taking out. Hell I even joined Flylady to organize myself some more (and yes because so many of my mami friends are doing it and I'm a jump off the bridge if all my friends are type of chica).

What has been most interesting in this waiting for el Cubano time period has been the reaction of everyone around me. I had to prep my sister since she doesn't get along with el Cubano. My best friend and I didn't speak for a number of days because she thinks El Cubano isn't trying hard enough on the relationship and using his illness as an excuse. Then there are the numerous comments and indirectas from other random friends and ex-lovers who swear el Cubano is the worse thing to happen to me since BPD.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he's dandy, the constant sunniness in LA would probably do you wonders. You'd also be a minority spic--which I think every Puerto Rican should have to go through. Te deseo nada menos que lo mejor. He just needs a better nickname. But that is something that you and your best bud don't do well. But in the grand scheme of things, coming up w/ nicknames is so not important.

7/19/2005 11:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean dude, he sounds like a sandwich. And it would be ok if he sounded like a manwich. (Who doesn't want to sound like a manwich.) But he sounds like a sandwich. Not even a Cuban sandwich. (God, are those tasty.) He sounds like a plain sandwich. Like a BLT on white, no mustard, no mayo. But that's just my opinion.

7/19/2005 12:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home