Monday, July 11, 2005

Summer does not = Vacation

You know you all missed me. Remember when I wrote how I loved summer because of the heat, the sweat, the humidity and the cute clothes? Well this is the I hate being a poor single mother during the summer post. I haven't had a break since school has let out. My daughter, whom I love , talks non-stop on average for 15 hours a day. She was given homework but she is like my sister and the opposite of me, requiring someone to be up her ass to do her work. That someone is me. Whenever I think I am going to get an hour window to write (remember that Mala, writing, that thing you love to do) she stands next to my desk, breathing heavily, reading outloud every fucking word I type (oooooh mami you can't write the f word. That's a bad word). I'm not as horrible mother as I sound. We've been to bad movies ( Shark boy and Lavagirl and Madagascar). We've been to the beach ( I have a nice tan at least). We've been to bbq's.

Don't ask me what the gym looks like. Don't ask me what it feels like to go out with adults. Don't ask me what poetry sounds like coming from my mouth.

I thought I had found a little bit of salvation in a free "camp" program sponsored by the NYC Council which lasts all of three hours 4 days a week. It turns out that those are the exact hours my students want me to privately tutor them.

I am an angry , frustrated mami right now.

Is hope in sight?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

make her play tennis, it costs nothing and they'll even give her a racquet

7/12/2005 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger Ms Cherry Galette said...

hope you find some time for youself, mala. :)

7/13/2005 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger fiercelyfab said...

hola chica! Of course you were missed. Ay, I feel you mala and I just have an 8 month old...good wishes down your way.

7/14/2005 03:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home