Saturday, September 17, 2005

Fiestas Patrias Guilt

Tomorrow , September 18th, is Chilean independence Day.Ya en Santiago the fondas have begun and the chicha is flowing. The last time I celebrated was in 1996 when I was in Chile. I was staying in la Serena at the time. And celebrated at la pampilla de Coquimbo. I remember I was still uncomfortable in Chile and a bit overwhelmed by everything. I remember though that the discos had Cueca contests. I will try and look for pictures and ticket stubs during the day.

I am not Chilena but my daughter is, and there is a part of me that feels guilty that I do not know how to expose her to that part of herself. Sure I can cook Chilean food and play Chilean music and sit with books and pictures. These are things that always have done. What is missing however is the sense of community. The idea of her having a connection to the Chilean community is even more complicated because her roots are in indigenous Chile, with the Mapuche.

A few weeks ago la MapucheRican's father sent me an email (that is how communicate now) telling me that he and his father, Don Aliro, had planted an Araucaria
for la MapucheRican. This made me cry. That tree will be there for many many years , rooting itself and growing. I wonder when I will be able to take my daughter to see her tree, her roots.

2 Comments:

Blogger fiercelyfab said...

Chile seems so beautiful. And soon the day will come when you'll travel with la Mapucherican (I've put the puzzle together on her name now)to show her the tree that was planted for her and the beautiful country that she is part of.

9/19/2005 03:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer Woodard said...

I also just got it re: her name. You are doing a great job already. Take it from another a fellow halfandhalf...just recognizing that this is important is so much more than most parents do. She'll find her own way, partiendo de la base que tu le estas dando.

9/19/2005 09:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home