Sunday, September 25, 2005

In anticipation of comments and questions

I am fully expecting to have comments and questions regarding my acceptance and use of words like assassination and murder with regards to what went down in Puerto Rico on Friday. I will clarify in advance and be clear about my politics and beliefs.
While I was born in the United States, had I been born in Puerto Rico, where my family is from, I still would have been born in the United States. This is because since 1898, when Puerto Rico was invaded by the United States, it has been a colony of the United States. Associated Free State is ,as far as I am concerned, a euphemism used to confuse and miseducate. Puerto Rico is a country that has never been able to fully develop itself because of the interference of other nations. People can point to as many plebicitos as they want, the fact remains that according to United Nations Puerto Rico is a colony of the United States and needs to be decolonized. I say it needs to be liberated. I may write, speak and occasionally protest for the freedom of my patria, people like Filiberto lived and now died for it.

Que viva Puerto Rico libre!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. This blog was so much better when you were writing about sex. Please get laid soon.

A fan.

9/26/2005 10:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahaha i agree with anon above!

9/26/2005 02:43:00 PM  
Blogger Musa said...

I am so glad I came across your blog. It is uplifting to see that there are other people using their online blogs for social good and to fight the good fight.

Please visit my official blog at chingaso.net/blog when you have the opportunity. Among other things it contains a link to a well written article my organization, IG/LFI, put out condemning racist capitalist society in the wake of the New Orleans disaster. Ciao.

Mois├ęs, BX, NY

9/26/2005 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger fiercelyfab said...

Puerto Rico is in a very unique position as a colonized country and I could see why you used the words assassination and murder when referring to Filiberto's death.

A country with no political representation, adequate infrastructure investments as a colonized nation and under the vigilant eye and arms of the US government, Filiberto is a hero for his life of activism. That's not even addressing the race/class relations that are very embedded in the struggle for liberation.

Thank you for bringing this topic into the radar. I enjoy the political/personal, its the best kind of writing.

9/26/2005 05:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just think it's interesting that none of you bloggers were even mentioning the anniversary of el grito de lares in your blogs last week.
it seems that this "assassination" highlights the slumbering nature of the so-called independentista movement. we're pretty comfortable calling for libertad from the relative safety and comfort of the US mainland.

9/26/2005 07:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home