Sunday, September 11, 2005

One Date : Remembering Multiple Tragedies



I would be remiss if I didn't post a little something about the significance of this date.

My mother left early and will probably stay out all day. She is avoiding the television and radio memorials. I'm sure wherever she is, she took the bus. I am sure she is not in or near a tall building. On this date , four years ago, she escaped the World Trade Center, where she worked. She watched fiery plans crash into buildings, bodies falling from those buildings, and she ran as those buildings collapsed.

I too will avoid the television and radio. I have cried too much already this week watching the aftermath of katrina and the aftermath of human indifference. On this date four years ago I was stuck in a subway car, quickly filling with smoke. For hours afterwards I wandered the streets of Manhattan in a state of shock and grief, unsure if my mother was alive. I'll probably avoid the subway today too.

9 years ago, on this date, I didn't avoid the streets, as I was told to. Instead I joined students from the Universidad de Chile on the streets of Santiago remembering what happened on 9-11-73 and recognizing the legacy it left and who was behind it.

On 9-11, in different years, different buildings were on fire in different countries.
Both however remain linked by the same politics.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey. i always told you this would make a great essay. no one has this angle covered. great to see people are reading your stuff. keep it up!

dc

9/11/2005 05:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home