Monday, October 10, 2005

Columbus Day Observed

Columbus Day Observed 2005

I wanted to sleep in today,
Warm beneath my sheets,
Warm inside my house,
Leaving the early October chill just beyond my comprehension,
Behind barred and shaded windows
But the sound of US sponsored bullets
Ricocheting off of innocent Iraqi skin
Shook me from my sleep and pulled me out of bed
Reminding me that no matter what the calendar says
It’s still the same colonization invasion game going down
On this so-called holiday.

I wanted to mourn today
Stay home and dress in black for the Palestinians killed by Israeli soldiers today.
I wanted to light candles for Pakistan and India
Burn incense for Guatemala
And cry my eyes out for Filiberto y Puerto Rico.
All of these make the 513 year old wounds bleed fresh and
Spill raped, mixed blood.
But my 8 year old daughter was hungry and
Needed help with her homework from the halls of miseducation.
Because she has off today
To celebrate her so called discovery
And I am left nervous
Wondering if when I reveal the truth
She’ll agree that we were better left uncivilized.

I wanted to celebrate today,
Torch court houses and tear down prison walls.
I wanted to bomb national monuments
And take back every last thing that has been stolen from me
From us.
I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs a huge
“FUCK YOU y VETE PA’L CARAJO”
to the spirit of Columbus marching down Fifth Avenue
just in case people forgot what this day is really about.
But I was too busy struggling today.
I was too busy working today.
I was too busy counting change to get onto the under terror alert subway today,
With its cops with machine guns standing in front of NYPD recruitment ads
You know the ones with the White cop hugging a Latina viejita?
I had to get to my job
As a 12 dollar an hour corporate whore for hire
Watching billions of bloody dollars
Being robbed from the third world and the third world within.

And when finally the day is nearly over and I return home
I turn on the t.v. only to see
The daily corporate whitewashed genocide report.

Yeah, Happy Columbus Day to you too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Debra said...

Wow. That was amazingly written and so honest and painful.

10/10/2005 05:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are so yummy when you're on fire. fuego a la mama!

dc

(by the way, the foto blog exhibit piece runs tonite, 8:30 p.m. 88.3 fm or wbgo.org)

10/11/2005 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger fiercelyfab said...

I love it!

10/11/2005 01:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put more salt and you have a molotov. Put more salt, two brothers mas and you a revolution!!!

10/14/2005 02:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home