Wednesday, October 05, 2005

In My Backyard


Everytime I see her face on the news, I scan my memory to see if she's in there somewhere. This happened too close to home. I have passed the street where this woman lived and died countless times just as I have crossed at the corner where her boyfriend said he left her body. I wonder if I have ever been at the playground with my daughter when Monica Lozada and her daughter Valery were there.

Que tragedia and this is one that we know about. How many other women are abused and killed by their partners or ex-partners and we never hear of them?

What has disturbed me the most , besides the actual murder of this young mother, is the talk that surrounds it. Men have actually written that Monica Lozada deserved what she got because according to the accused killer, she was cheating. As if anything justifies leaving a four year old without her mother in such a brutal way.
This just goes to show just how deep in a culture of violence against women we live in.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This story made me think of you, actually. I am also disturbed by the "outpouring" of offers to adopt the admittedly beautiful little girl. It strikes me that there are thousands of other little Latino boys and girls who perhaps aren't as well-behaved, articulate, precocious and fair-skinned who will never attract that kind of attention.

dc

10/05/2005 09:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was supposed to be in the last post. sorry. here's a story about an equally sad case:

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1128503552164940.xml&coll=3

dc

10/05/2005 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

DC, thanks for the link to the article. I know of the case but didn't realize that the baby was the result of sexual abuse.

Oh yeah I could get into the whole politics of adoption and race but then I would be accused of talking too much about race. ha ha.

10/05/2005 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger pobrefeofeliz said...

hombres son estupidos. no one deserves to be beaten or killed regardless of their infidelity. there are a lot of groups in nyc that do phenomenal work on domestic violence issues from an anglo perspective, but very few groups that deal with cultural/ethnic/racial perspectives on DV. the nyc council is working on the DoVE (domestic violence empowerment) initiative that will help fund groups that are indigenous to the communities they serve. if there are groups in your area doing this kind of work that could benefit from funding you should let la fea know.

10/05/2005 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

Oh very cool mr. happy ugly man. Thanks for the heads up.

10/05/2005 01:08:00 PM  
Blogger pobrefeofeliz said...

im poor too goddamnit.

10/05/2005 01:25:00 PM  
Blogger Fea said...

Great now not only do i have to worry about work that comes through the office but through this blog a well...

10/05/2005 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger pobrefeofeliz said...

Please la Fea. As if you do any work here anyway.

10/05/2005 02:21:00 PM  
Blogger Fea said...

i do too do work. I work more than u mr. boss man

10/05/2005 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger pobrefeofeliz said...

I guess you do work if getting up from your desk to hide when constituents get near the front door is considered work.

10/05/2005 02:38:00 PM  
Blogger Fea said...

i do not do that.. today alone i have 4 new cases. stop using language barrier as ur excuse.. !

10/05/2005 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

Guys....cut it out. No fighting on the he blog unless it is relevant to the post. Por favor.

10/05/2005 02:43:00 PM  
Blogger pobrefeofeliz said...

We weren't fighting. We were playing. I understand your wanting to keep the comments related to the posts but come on, we're gonna have to rename the blog Mamita(Comment)Nazi.blogspot.com

10/05/2005 03:04:00 PM  
Blogger pobrefeofeliz said...

please don't ban me and fea.

10/05/2005 03:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home