Friday, October 21, 2005

Planting Trees in Someone Else's Soil


Oh the irony. A few weeks ago la MapucheRican's father informed me via email that he had planted an Araucaria tree for his daughter in Puerto Aisen. The tree is the National Tree of Chile and plays a central role in Mapuche beliefs and rituals. The tree can grow up to 100 feet tall and can live for up to one thousand years. The idea of mi hija indigina having that tree in her name, waiting for her , holding her place there, rooting her there, moved me deeply and still does.

A few days ago I was chatting online with la MapucheRican's father (that is the extent of our communication these days), and he told me that he had miscalculated the property lines surrounding the house in Puerto Aisen and had ended up planting the tree on someone else's land. Someone else would take care of what he had planted. Kind of like what I've been doing for the past 8 years.

1 Comments:

Blogger fiercelyfab said...

I love your literary analogy it is so raw--ay que costumbres del hombre.

10/21/2005 05:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home