Friday, November 25, 2005

Like the Good Ole Days- A Rican Family holiday dinner

I made it to my abuela's house yesterday evening just as the food was being served (perfect timing no?). The small apartment was packed, with people sitting and eating and gossiping in every room. I saw primos and primas of mine that I hadn't seen in years. So many years in fact that when I went into my abuela's building with my
hermana, we nearly walked past these tall handsome guys who ended up being our cousins.
Another cousin and his wife and kids came up from Florida. Mi hija and another prima ran around the apartment laughing and playing hide and go seek. The trays of arroz barely made it out of the kitchen with people scooping up what my titi ha cooked. When it was time to leave it took, no lie, 45 minutes to go around the place and kiss and say goodbye to everyone. It reminded me of when I was a child. Sunday at Abuela's was always like this, not because it was a holiday. There were so many of us cousins running, playing and tormenting each other. At the end of the night we would be kissing and crying all over each other even if we had been fighting and tattling on each other the entire visit.

Ah only 1 month till the next holiday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cosa Chula said...

Due to a nasty divorce I didnt get to spend the holidays w/family. But I smiled at your description of the leavetaking. It seems the first 30 min when we get to a friends house is spent kissing and being kissed then another 30 spent kissing ppl goodbye.If you want to leave at 5, start saying your goodbyes at 430 or you will not make it out on time!

11/29/2005 08:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home