Friday, November 11, 2005

Why I Sold Out and Voted for Ferrer

Someone once said that your vote is private and you don't have to tell anyone who you voted for or why. Considering all the shit I wrote/spoke about Freddy Ferrer, you'd think that would be good advice for me to take. Pero in an effort to constantly be honest and open here (let's see if I get brave enough to write about my sexual misadventures) I will tell you what lever I flipped earlier this week.

I had no fucking idea what I was going to do when I stepped into the voting booth. I knew where I stood on the budget proposals. No one was running against my City Council person (so much for a real election, and I knew that I would not vote for Bloomberg. But then who to vote for NYC Mayor. Ferrer was not the obvious choice. Yeah he was Rican, yeah he was a Democrat but that doesn't mean he represents. What the hell did he do when Ricans were being executed by police in the Bronx. Remember Anthony Baez, Anthony Rosario, and Hilton Vega. Look it up. Then there was his flip flop on the Diallo murder.

That left me with the Green Party guy and the Rent is too damn high guy.

The Green party annoys me with there lip service to diversity and equality and yet they are pretty damn white. On election day a handful of Green Party members of color were overheard harassing people in Brooklyn for not voting while simultaneously praising Starbucks for their employee treatment (if you could only see me rolling my eyes).

I think I would have voted for that Rent is too damn high guy except he seemed no se, a little unstable. I mean hell we're all unstable pero I couldn't do it.

So there I stood on Tuesday, November 8 with everything selected in my voting booth except mayor.
"Hurry up Mami! I'm hungry!" my daughter complained.
"Fuck it" I said and flipped the lever for Ferrer (may diosa forgive me).
I felt dirty but at least later that night when Bloomberg was declared the winner, I could say don't blame me.

Blame my mom and sister who did vote for Bloomberg.

2 Comments:

Anonymous mortalez said...

I know the feeling , I am for the green party based on their stand on workers rights . but in natianal elections I tend to vote demecrat , I do this because I dont wish to waste my vote(by spliting it and giving the republicans a chance to ruin our country).
And PS: green party officials actually want more minority involvment its just that most minorities tend to run as democrats and in areas that dont have a firm greenparty base they tend to support the most liberal candidadte they can find(which is usually a minority).
saying that I do understand your post and reasons for voting the way you did. you are lucky you live in an area where you kinda had a choice , when i went to vote I saw 12 republican judges running unopposed(and alot of brothaz and vatoz wonder why the prisons here in texas are filled with blacks and latinoz).

11/11/2005 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger nicolececilia said...

Elections suck. Voting against someone is not democracy. I never used to vote in P.R. because it is colonial bullshit. But I did it here. Twice. I voted for the double RRs: Kerry and Ferrer. Not once was I happy with my decision. Not once I felt represented. Not once I felt I was doing something smart. Elections suck.

11/12/2005 12:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home