Monday, December 05, 2005

Advice from vecinos

I expect feedback, opinions, advice and hell even some insults here. I live parts of my life publicly here. I do not ask for or expect unsolicited advice from the downstairs neighbor say when I'm going to get my morning coffee. She's a lovely mujer really. Always passing me bad paperback books that I don't have the heart to say are well bad. She gives me costume jewelry and sample size facial products. She sends up little boberias for la MapucheRican.She compliments or criticises my hair
"You are so pretty. Why do you ruin yourself with such ugly pink hair color!" She'll yell at me in her heavy Russian accent.

The other morning I ran into her by the mailboxes.
"What happened that you don't have a boyfriend?" She asks me loudly making sure the whole building knows I'm single. And what does she mean what happened? Like what's wrong with me what happened or what happened to el cubano or any of the other men I've seen you with?

"I don't know," I shrug meekly. I haven't had coffee yet remember? I couldn't think of a witty comeback. Anyway I'm too nice even with coffee.

"I have just the thing. I will give you a Feng Shui book. It changed my life. 8 years I've been married to an American man. Who would have thought? I wasn't channeling my elements correctly before. You need to know your element so you can arrange everything accordingly." She tells me all this in a motherly tone. Somewhere between concerned and disgusted.

"Yeah ok. I'll read the book" I tell her. "Give it to me another time. I have to run"

"Yes go but come get the book. I am fire. He is fire. Together we burn strong"

I say goodbye and smile before walking away and no I haven't stopped by to get that book.

4 Comments:

Blogger Poetik_soul said...

Screw that book, re-read the alchemists, that will put it all in sync for you!

12/06/2005 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger Luis Henao said...

I'm fire and tomorrow is our last chance of burn La Tertulia this year.

I hope you be there, my favorite witness

12/06/2005 09:21:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

You're back!!!!!

12/06/2005 09:29:00 PM  
Blogger Fea said...

u don't need to read anything girl. u know there is nothing wrong with u. the assumption that a book will fix something that ain't broke is just silly.

12/07/2005 10:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home