Monday, December 19, 2005

On the eve of a complete transit strike (maybe)

I have the privilege of a very short commute. It takes me all of 10 seconds to walk from my bed upon waking to my desk where I write, so the partial strike that began in my borough of Queens last night doesn't impact my routine. If there is a city-wide strike, as is being threatened , it still won't personally impact me too much. My mother will have to walk about a mile to the nearest Long Island Railroad stop. My sister will be picked up by co-workers or a cheese bus from the daycare where she works. La MapucheRican's school will start two hours later. But that doesn't mean that I don't care. In fact I rely on the subways to get me to performance gigs, visits to families and friends.

I think it's interesting how freaked out people get about the idea of a strike. The stress, people staying glued to the media , the anger some feel towards the workers that get them to work on a daily basis. In many ways it feels as if many NY'er's have forgotten the history of labor movements in la ciudad. In most Latin American countries strikes , huelgas, and paros are a powerful voice for workers.

No se. I need to spend some time to do a deeper analysis of the issues and share them here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a blooger that i read said it best:

Fuck the Metropolitan Transit Authority and the Transport Workers Union Local 100. Both are being unreasonable. The MTA put its final offer on the table on Friday and hasn't budged. It's hard to believe much of what anyone from the MTA says about anything, what with the fare hike that just happened, and now they've got a surplus so they're giving weekend discounts during the holiday season. And I'm sure they'll be right back saying they've got a deficit soon, and they need to raise fares again.

I'm pro labor and pro union, but goddamn TWU, what planet are you on? Lower the retirement age to 50? An 8% raise every year for three years? No contributions by employees to help pay for health insurance? No employee contributions to their pension funds? Damn. I'd like me some of that. Maybe I should get all Norma Rae and shit and start a union here where I work. I could use a 24% raise myself, especially since I don't even make as much money as many of the MTA workers do. I'll be the po-lice wish they had them some of that. Rookie cops in NYC now make something like $22,000 a year. No kidding. And hey, some free health insurance and not having to pay into my retirement plan, that'd be fuckin' sweet, too.

Feh.

12/19/2005 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger RHD said...

Fuck the "We've got a $700 MILLION surplus, but we want givebacks from the Union" MTA! I have a whole rant on this, but I'm too angry to be articulate about it yet! Fuckers!

12/19/2005 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger 3pillars said...

It's a shame that they can't be a little more considerate for their fellow New Yorkers.

12/19/2005 02:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home