Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Wake Up, there's a strike

My sister stormed into my bedroom at three this morning.
"The strike is on, the strike is on, the strike is on" she yelled, repeating the words she saw scrolling on the bottom of the television screen. The city put it's contingency plans into effect. We put our own in. My mother walked a mile to get picked up by some co-workers so they could all drive into Manhattan. My sister got picked up by her boss. My daughter starts school later. The phone began ringing here at 6:30 am.
"Is there a strike?" people asked. Don't they listen to the radio, watch television?

I am disgusted at the City and MTA's response to the strike , not their contingency plan, but the constant focus on the illegality of the strike, of the constant trying to play city residents against transit workers. Aren't the transit workers city residents? Aren't some city residents transit workers? Is anyone else noticing who the majority of these workers are? And yes I am going there!

5 Comments:

Blogger starchild said...

word. 70% are people of color. People need their living wage, period the end. And the fact that some people don't have it doesn't mean we should be pissed that others are trying to get it.

And damn it's cold outside! I'll be walking the 2.5 miles home from work today (I got a very nice cab driver this morning to get me to downtown brooklyn). Gotta buy some gloves.

12/20/2005 11:20:00 AM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

Exactly!

Stay warm mujer.

12/20/2005 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger RHD said...

I can't recall the last transit worker I saw who WASN'T of color.

You know I could go on and on about this but it would be preaching to the choir, and you know the choir just sings...

12/20/2005 12:55:00 PM  
Anonymous LIPS71 said...

My brother in-law is a transit worker and although he is white (my nickname for him is wondedr bread) I can tell you for a fact that he did not want to strike. I agree that the mayor and governor are focusing to much on the "illegal" aspect of the strike but people have to remember that the 30,000+ members did not vote for the strike 47 executive board members did. A question "where are they now?

12/20/2005 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger fiercelyfab said...

hey you all, hope for the best during the strike, and I agree with Starchild we must be supportive of living wages regardless if we have them ourselves.

from a car centered city--I can see what an inconvenience it may cause at cities where public transportation is a lifeline for folks and yes stay warm!

12/21/2005 01:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home