Thursday, January 19, 2006

Forks and Awards : MapucheRican Milestones


Consider this, to use the words of one of readers, an annoying distraction from sex stories (I don't have any to share at the moment- please leave your applications). My sporadic blogging has been due more to mamihood obligations than South Side boys fucking me across the street from where they live with their mothers.

On Three King's Day, los tres reyes brought us our first visit to the emergency Room. I was sitting at the kitchen table tutoring a schoolmate of la Mapu on the importance of the period when I hear a scream coming from my daughter who was on "Enu" (an Ernie step thing that she has called Enu since forever) getting a cup from a cabinet.
"Call 911! Call 911" She's yelling. I run over to find that the tine of a serving fork had gone through her left ring finger. My student was picked up almost immediately and I threw a shawl over la Mapu so we could run over to the nearest hospital (about 5 blocks away). I couldn't put a coat on her well because she had a fork stuck in her left hand and was holding it up with her right. One lady on the street asked me accusingly, "Don't you have a coat for that child?"
I responded, "yes lady I do but in case you haven't noticed my kid has a fork stuck in her finger, the fucking coat is the least of my problems."
La pobre MapucheRican was crying and asking why this happened to her and if it happened because she did something bad.

Once in the ER I grabbed the nurse and told her my daughter had a fork through her finger that needed to be taken out stat. The nurse looked at me and asked, "Are you kidding me?" I told her that damnit I wasn't and to please tend to my child. She was given 5 shots of a local anesthetic, after which she was still screaming.
"It can't possibly still hurt?" the doctor asked her.
"No! But I'm scared!" My daughter yelled. I wanted to cry. Pobrecita. 1...2....3... and the fork was removed. After determining she needed no stitches , we were on our way home about two hours after we came in. Not bad for a NYC ER.

On a happier note, la Mapu was deemed student of the month at her public school. The Principal gave her an award certificate and a medal which apparently between last night and this morning disappeared.

::sigh::

9 Comments:

Anonymous Jen said...

Congrats to Mapu on the award! And sorry for the fork mishap. These things happen. Very well-written post, btw, I felt like I was right there with you.

1/20/2006 04:37:00 PM  
Blogger brownfemipower said...

handled like the true mujeres you and mapu are!!

are kids great tho? when my daughter got the nail jammed half way through her foot, i kept her calm until her father got here with the car by forcing her to play PBS kids on the computer. she kept clicking and then crying about calling 911. I was like, how the hell do you even know what 911 is???

that's great that she's ok--and you too! YOu didn't have to watch them take it out did you? (I almost passed out)

1/20/2006 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger Luis Henao said...

Aguante Mapucherican!!!!!

1/20/2006 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger starchild said...

oh god, poor thing! Glad the ER actually worked out for you :)

1/21/2006 12:24:00 AM  
Blogger fiercelyfab said...

Ay Dios mio--that must have been scary. Troopers de veras que si.

1/21/2006 03:14:00 AM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

I did have the watch the fork removal. I just wanted to cry the whole time but instead was making jokes to try and get her to stop crying.

1/21/2006 08:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey
hope she's ok...
F.

1/23/2006 09:36:00 AM  
Blogger Faba said...

Como llego el tenedor ahi?!

1/30/2006 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

She was grabbing onto something and it happened to be the fork

1/30/2006 04:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home