Tuesday, January 03, 2006

It May be a new year but it's the same ole same ole for Puerto Rico

Angry Brown Butch beat me to it yesterday by posting about the Interagency Report by the President'’s Task Force on Puerto Rico'’s Status, an effort initiated by President Clinton in 2000 and renewed by Bush in 2003.

I first read about the report on NYC Indymedia and when I read the article's spin on the report I just shook my head and said, "same game, different name".

The United State's government can window dress Puerto Rico's status until the proverbial cows come home. What doesn't change is the fact that Puerto Ricans have no say as to their own future. And if you ask for some say too loudly well just look at what happened to Don Filiberto or what continues to happen to the Puerto Rican political prisoners.

So the choice, in my opinion, lays not iplebisciteses sponsored by the United Stategovernmentnt, which in my opinion are nothing more than glorified opinion polls, but rather in the hands of yes the Puerto Rican and the international community. A Colony by any other name is still a colony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home