Monday, January 23, 2006

You Surf Like a Girl

Do I though? There's been a lot of discussion about the role of women on the net and in the blogosphere. It's something that Fabulosa, Nubian, and Brownfemipower have been talkin' bout the role women of color specifically . So much so there is a radical women of color carnival comin' up and a growing radical women of color blogring.

So this article I stumbled upon on AlterNet and recent posts by some mujer bloggers I love has me thinking about the why I blog and why I use the internet the way I do. I went online originally not to nurture social networks but to indulge my exhibitionist sensibilities. It unfolded into a means of expression, an arena for self-promotion, and yes a place to build relationships , community with mamis, mujeres, writers (and the occasional lover). And yet despite the fact that much of my life is tethered to the computer and the worlds it represents/mirrors my knowledge of the technology is limited.

I guess if I spent less time pouring my heart out and telling stories and sharing opinions I'd have time to teach myself how to build my own webpage. Mamihood, writing, and working take up time too. I have a techy to-do list that is very long and some of it remains out of my reach for financial reasons. Could that be another reason why there is such a tech knowledge gap and why women and men and people of color use the net in such different ways?

4 Comments:

Blogger fiercelyfab said...

That was a great article you link to and you bring about excellent points in addressing the tech knowledge gap between most men and women and people of color and how it represents in their usage of the internet. Great point--and way to go in your endeavor to increasing your tech knowledge. Let us know how it all goes.

1/23/2006 02:48:00 PM  
Blogger brownfemipower said...

I agree with fab about your points on tech knowledge--I know that most of my chicano/a friends see absolutly no need at all the learn the computer--mainly because, why do you need the computer when you're working twelve hour days of hard labor? If anybody has computers, it is basically used for the email function, cuz it's cheaper to get a hold ofpeople in mexico that way...I think that this is a great dialogue to open up---we all know why we aren't and why are communities aren't accessing the resources--what the hell can we do about it????

1/24/2006 07:55:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

That's where race and class intersect no? So is the web and blogging something only for the educated class (good question for a carnival maybe...???hmm).

Not to be trite but Educate educate educate and oh yeah raise money to get equipment to educate

1/24/2006 08:42:00 PM  
Blogger fiercelyfab said...

Yeah, I'm afraid Mala is right--until pues I see otherwise, this seems to be for the educated class, and that is not all, the educated class that finds joy in writing in a blog which condenses the group even more. I have a handful of friends that are "educated" and are on myspace networking, showing their pictures--and literally sharing their stories of weekend after weekend of bars, buzzed, dancing til they drop, looking cute, etc. (ahhh the good ol days...)

On that note--their communities are in salsa clubs, girls night outs at other clubs and pretty much blogging is like, what?! For geeky, anti-social people. Not trying to be sarcastic but pointing out what's been shared with me by my anecdotal experiences. I'm not being disdainful at all--I was in those shoes, except for the myspace part not too long ago. But I think that more and more this medium should be shared by folks that enjoy writing and techy stuff.

But yes educating is key. f

1/25/2006 01:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home