Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Guagua means Baby and Polola Means Girlfriend

I love a Chilean accent and how words in Chilean Spanish have absolutely nothing to do with words in Puerto Rican Spanish. When I arrived in Chile oh so many years ago and asked where I could catch la guagua, I got some strange looks. Fresas became frutillas, tipas became minas, guineos became platanos, tea became mate, "pos" were attached to words and phrases and every sentence seemed to have a "cachai" thrown in there. It was an accent that eventually stuck to me and at times still mixes in with my Nuyorican Spanish just enough to confuse people and leave them wondering where I am from.

In Chile there were different labels to describe relationships. If you were just messing with a mino/a aka fucking around you were tirando. Casually dating = andando. Novios meant there was an engagement ring and a wedding date.

Last night (well really early this morning) on the corner of 42 and 9th the Chilean I'm dating asked (after a pretty intense night of conversation) if I would be his polola. It sounds like the silliest word in the world if you don't know what it means. Pololeando sounds even sillier. But last night it made sense to me. Cachai?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Jen said...

I feel special because I totally know what you are talking about. Worldly women, we are.

3/30/2006 01:58:00 AM  
Blogger Debra said...

So... the answer?

3/30/2006 08:04:00 PM  
Blogger LeeSee said...

This is off topic, I had wanted to respond to the school situation in New York, so I emailed my daughter who lives there to give me some ideas as to what goes on there.
(She works in a school) Anyway, she has yet to respond, I know she's pretty busy. It made me sad to think Latinas still don't get any respect within the school system in any state.
Keep doing what you're doing, if someone cares sometimes that's all that counts and sometimes that's all you can depend upon.
I mentioned your blog a week or so ago on our blog, I enjoy your posts, post more often.

3/30/2006 08:09:00 PM  
Blogger MsAbcMom said...

When I lived in Argentina and in Chile I thought it was very cool to learn new words for words that I already knew. Pololo and pololeando were my favorites though. Why? I am not sure, they just seemed like cute terms. It probably helped that I was a pre-teen and was a hopeless romantic!

3/30/2006 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

Debra: Duh!!! I said yes. Hee hee

3/31/2006 08:22:00 AM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

Gracias leesee and welcome. I will try to post as often as la vida allows!!

3/31/2006 08:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Latino Pundit said...

heh

3/31/2006 01:12:00 PM  
Blogger Christy-Anne said...

My boyfriend is also Chilean and let me tell you, Spanish 1 and 2 in high school does not help me when trying to understand the unique Chilean dialect. Anyway, my boyfriend just text me "Hola mi hermosa polola" I was like.. whats a polola?? So I googled it and your blog definitely helped :) so GRACIAS !

1/24/2008 02:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home