Tuesday, March 21, 2006

HIV/AIDS Education for La Mapu

I originally heard the story on the news this morning as I checked the temperature before I dropped la Mapu off at school. When she came home this afternoon , one of the first things I asked her (after checking out her report card- she still is struggling at writing- haters insert your comment here)was "Did they talk to you about HIV or AIDS today?"

I've been bad about this. We know people who are HIV positive but it's never something I've discussed with la Mapu. I've discussed other illnesses. When Titi L. died of cancer, I explained cancer. What was I waiting for? For someone we know to die before I explained HIV and AIDS? Nice little privilage trip I had going for while.

"No they didn't talk to us about HIV or AIDS in school today." la Mapu explained.
"Well what do you know about HIV or AIDS?" I asked.
"It's a sickness" she answered.
"Do you know how people get sick with the HIV virus?" I asked.
"Not going outside?" she asked, shrugging her shoulders.
Clearly I have failed as a parent.

I began reading the information sent home regarding the new expanded HIV/AIDS Education program. As a third grader my daughter will be taught to wash her hands and cover her mouth when she sneezes. Sex won't be dealth with until she's in fourth grade with an emphasis on abstinence. I have heard from parents in the local public school that in sex ed the word sex can't even be used so this new education programs should be fun ::rolling eyes::

Tommorow there will be a meeting for the parents about the new program. I am thinking of bringing condoms to hand out.

P.S. : This morning as I walked la MapucheRican to school she turned to me and said:

"Mom, you forget everything. We talked about HIV and AIDS and other diseases you can get from sex and drugs. But I don't want to get into it now. "

Ok so maybe I'm not failing that horribly.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. S said...

Nena, seems like ur doing a great job w/the lil' one ... she seems brighter then u thought! =)

3/21/2006 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger Elenamary said...

I used to call my mom's chats "Oprah Talks" because whenever Oprah covered sex, drugs, or anything else, we would get a talk from our mother afterwards.

I remember being six years old and my mom mentioning someone who was bisexual and i thought this was a person who had both male and female sex organs.

when i was eight my mom sat me and my siblings down (i was the oldest) and told us that if were gay that we shouldn't be ashamed of it and she would love us no mater hwat.

when i was ten she told me that if i were ever to become sexually active that i could come to her and we could go to the doctor and get birth control.

I remember all these talks, and I understood the biggest messages which were 1. I could feel free to talk to my mom about anything and that 2. she would always love me no matter what. The problem was we never discused what anything actually ment, sure at age 10 I knew that if you were going to be sexually active that you should be on birth control in order to prevent pregnancy and use condoms in order to prevent STD's but I had no idea how you actually had sex, I had no idea what heterosexual meant, what homosexual meant but I knew that if I was either my momma would love me.

Anyway, I guess my point is,you are doing an awesome job, but don't worry too much about her not understanding HIV/AIDS right now, she knows the big picture to love and to accept others, and that she can talk to you about anything.

3/22/2006 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

ha ha. I love the Oprah Talks thing.

Yeah sometimes as a mami I worry like crazy ya know pero then she reminds me that so far so good.

My mother didn't talk to me about anything so I guess I consciously try to be the opposite of that

3/22/2006 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger HIV+DaveyBoy said...

Seeking other HIV+/AIDS status people to chat about dealing with being "POZ", please drop in and visit me on http://www.13km.com ;)

5/18/2006 10:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home