Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Coqui At My Door

At approximately 5:30 yesterday afternoon there was a knock at my door. I went to answer it as it was an afternoon full of client meetings. I looked through the peephole. Nadie. I opened the door. No one. Then I noticed in front of my door a little figurine of a coqui, that tiny Rican tree frog that sang me to sleep during my many childhood stays back in la patria. I didn't dare touch it. What if someone had done some brujeria on it? Was a it a joke from my German neighbor downstairs, the one who wears a big cowboy hat and always seems to have knick knacks to give away? Was it from that young guy from Wisconsin who lives across the hall with me? I'm convinced he has a crush on my sister. Maybe it was a goodbye gift from my neighbors who just moved to the other side of the building. Maybe it was an insult, a slur in the physical form of a pava wearing coqui. It could be making fun of the current fiscal crisis Puerto Rico finds itself in. When my sister came home two hours later. She didn't bring the coqui into the house either, suspecting brujeria also (we are a superstitious/suspicious lot). We wracked our brains wondering who it could be from and what it could mean. Last night the coqui was allowed into the house by my mother who said my sister and I were being ridiculous. My sister and I scolded her and began planning for the limpieza we would now have to do because my mother brought the coqui into the apartment. I mentioned the coqui to a number of parents at a parent association budget meeting this morning. They all (all white) shook their head, indicating the incident as a bad sign. Ok so we are the only Rican family in the building but we've been the only Rican family in the building for what, 15 years now?

The coqui, with his hat, is sitting on my piano in the entrance hallway of the apartment, keeping silent on whatever his reason for being left on my doorstep.

5 Comments:

Blogger nicolececilia said...

that's not a coquí. i remember very vividly a very famous bumper sticker in PR that depicted a brown coqui (as it should be)saying: ¡coño no soy verde!

and I think brujeria cannot harm you if you don't buy it. ;)

5/10/2006 06:43:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Woodard Maderazo said...

Maybe some child is in love with Mapucherican and this was the only Puerto Rican related item he could find to woo her? It's so cute the last thing I would think is brujeria or other agression.

5/10/2006 08:20:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

Nicole

tienes razon es un estereotipo pa turistas de lo que es un coqui.

5/11/2006 08:03:00 AM  
Blogger brownfemipower said...

haha, i betcha it's for your daughter--do you watch dora?? She's got an episode where she meets coqui and sings his song the whole damn episode...(i found this post very interesting, as I have always thought of dora as mexican, even tho the voice portrayer is rican--jaguir's used to be big in mexico and condors and all this shit always means mexico to me--but maybe she's officially a mestiza "latina" rather than from a specific country?)

5/11/2006 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Nina said...

Im sorry girl, that was too funny. No one will touch the coqui to bring him in.

5/11/2006 02:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home