Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Punctuation

I refuse to balance on a hyphen
Slip between ellipses of omission
of waiting
for my adjective
my modifier.


I like to use the dash when I write, especially when I write in my daily journal. It indicates continuity, connections and yes poor grammar skills.

Today I received my official acceptance letter from Voices of Our Nations Art Foundation (VONA).
. I have the opportunity to spend a few weeks in San Fran working on my writing. I am honored and excited to work with other writers of color and share community. But I have no idea how I will do it. The program will cost me, not including airfare about $800. This comes at a time when I am planning a move into a new apartment I will share with my daughter and pololo, healthcare bills are on the horizon, and of course basic survival needs. But my writing is a survival need as well. But who will watch my 8 year old daughter while I indulge myself in words and the sound they make on my mouth and the space they take up once they leave my mouth?

Well there is a little, humble donation button on the sidebar (god I beg alot no?)
But this is something I have waited too long to do, take a step for myself and how that self expresses herself.

Still doesn't take care of childcare but they don't make a button for that.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Jen said...

Congrats! Remember, you do have a friend in SF. I cook very well so you can eat every meal at my house if you want to economize.

5/17/2006 09:22:00 PM  
Blogger fiercelyfab said...

congratulations first of all.

Second--I will see how I can help mujer.

Cuidate mucho--a lot of good things and changes going on there, exciting times.

When will you leave to San Francisco?

5/18/2006 12:48:00 AM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

Yeah I might opt out of the food program to save some money so thanks, Jen. You might see me at your door with an empty plate.

Yeah there are so many changes happening now that it's a bit overwhelming figuring out what to do.

I'm suppossed to go in the first week of July

5/18/2006 07:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Jen said...

Bring it on. It'll give me an excuse to make more elaborate meals. Gimme the heads up when you're on your way out here and I'll buy you welcome drink.

5/18/2006 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

Well non-alcholic drinks for me thanks but more on that in a whole separate post I'm not quite ready to write yet.

5/18/2006 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger brownfemipower said...

mamita--congratulations!!
(does it make me a bad friend to admit i am jealous as hell!?!?!?! :-)

i understand so deeply with you right now, and i can't help with money, but i send you lots of love and hope--it'll work out, i know it will!!!

5/18/2006 04:35:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Maegan said...

No it doesn't make you a bad friend BFP. Ha ha. I can't believe I got in actually. I really hope I can go. Your love and vibes will go a long way- they always do!!

5/18/2006 05:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Jen said...

Non-alcoholic? Wow. Okay, I'll see if the places I go serve those... ;) Can't wait to see you, either way!

5/21/2006 08:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home